Friday, March 20, 2009

Full list of new features in iphone 3.0 firmware

When apple released iphone 3.0 firmware(unofficial youtube version), it claimed that it has about 100 new features and 1000 new APIs but listed them nowhere. I was hunting on the web to get a list of new features. This link is the best so far that I found. It has about 81 items. I hope that the list is accurate. I do not think that I understand all of them. You can see this video that demos some of the features.


I am an iphone 2G (first generation) user. I am a bit unhappy that some of the new features are not being offered for 2G phones citing hardware limitations. The following list of features in 3.0 firmware are not available for 2G phones. i.e the limitations for 2g phones in 3.0 firmware.
- No MMS (says radio is not capable)
- No A2DP. i.e stereo audio over bluetooth.
I am very unhappy about A2DP limitation for 2G phones. Atleast they should have supported normal audio, if not stereo audio, over bluetooth. I am sure normal audio is possible as we can use bluetooth headset to receive calls.

By the way, you might have heard that iphonedev team already did jailbreak the 3.0 beta firmware. These guys are amazing. I hope unlock is not far way.

No comments: