Saturday, February 2, 2008

Hardware unlocked my 1.1.2 OOTB iphone

Ye! I finally unlocked my 1.1.2 OOTB phone last week. I guess I did all possible mistakes that I could in the process. But the good thing is that I have a happy ending. Now my phone is fully functional.

The most stupid mistake that I did is to run baseband downgrader (from i.unlock.no) when I am on 1.1.2. When I downloaded the package using installer, it asked if I am ready to run it. I accidentally pressed continue. Bang !! At the end of the process it gave some error and then rebooted the phone. I lost my wifi after that. Having no wifi is really painful to proceed. You cannot direcly install the necessary applications for hacking.

To go into more technical details..., the baseband downgrader would use ieraser to erase the baseband. Since the 1.1.2 OOTB phones has 4.6 bootloader, which has higher security restrictions, ieraser messes with the baseband. This will make you loose your wifi also. Ideally, one should use a newer version of ieraser named 'ienew', when on a 4.6 bootloader. It erases the baseband in a controlled way for the hardware hacking to happen(prepares for testpointing).

Once things are messed up, we will have to go via a hard way of fixing things. The steps in brief are as follows.
- Downgrade to 1.0.2 (Use ibrickr to downgrade if needed)
- Once downgraded, use ibrickr to jailbreak it.
- Replace /usr/libexec/lockdownd file, to activate 1.0.2.
- Install necessary applications like mobileterminal using ibrickr
- Upload the files needed for bootloader downgrade
(ienew, secpack, 3.9nor...) using ibrickr
- Open up the iphone (Do not underestimate this step)
- Scratch the A17 line to be used for testpointing.
- run ienew + iunew with testpoint.
This will donwgrade the bootloader to 3.9.
- Restore to 1.1.2 firmware using itunes.
You will get back your wifi. (Go and celebrate!)
- Restore to 1.1.1
- Activate + Jailbreak using jailbreakme.com
- Run oktoprep on 1.1.1
- Update to 1.1.2
- Use the java application to activate & jailbreak 1.1.2
- Show off your unlocked 1.1.2 OOTB!!

Here I am just listing steps, I will post more detailed process in a series of posts.

Next Step: Downgrading 1.1.2 firmware

3 comments:

Dean said...

Thanks for your blog, its helped point me in the right direction. Could you be so kind to tell me where you download the files to be uploaded for the bootloader downgrade (ready for the test point)
Could you also tell me how to command it from the iphone to do the downgrade as via your blog you say the wifi wont be back just yet

Thanks!

Sunil said...

The files necessary for bootloader downgrade can be downloaded from http://lpahome.com/geohot/112otb.rar

To run the commands from iphone, you have to use an application named "mobile terminal"

Anonymous said...

it's unethical to publish this kind of articles openly.. I wish, Apple to sue you.. :P :D

- Anjan